[OpenStack-Infra] Gerritbot

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Tue Mar 1 14:56:57 UTC 2016

On 03/01/2016 09:39 AM, C.J. Collier wrote:
> Hello Anita,
>
> You bet.  I'll get it in to gerrit shortly.  It's not ready to be merged
> quite yet.  I just wanted to start a conversation.

I totally understand. Having a conversation before a patch is merged
makes perfect sense.

For us, that conversation takes place in gerrit on a patch rather than
on a mailing list in a thread. Gerrit has the option of setting workflow
-1 on a patch so the owner of the patch can indicate the patch is not
ready to be merged.

When conversations about patches and approaches take place in gerrit,
folks who may not have been present for the beginning of the
conversation are able to see the history of comments on the patch and
can get themselves up to date. Contributors have become very adept at
using gerrit to sort patches and follow a conversation as it is ongoing
for patches in which they are interested.

For instance here is a conversation that has been going on for 2 weeks
and is on its 10th patchset: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/282295/

Let us know in infra if you have any questions about submitting a
patchset to gerrit.

Thanks C.J.,
Anita.