[OpenStack-Infra] Considering branches in the sync between repo and Zanata

Clark Boylan cboylan at sapwetik.org
Tue Sep 22 15:47:02 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 22, 2015, at 01:06 AM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:

> Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org> wrote on 2015/09/22 01:29:25:
>
> > From: Clark Boylan <cboylan at sapwetik.org>
> > To: openstack-infra at lists.openstack.org
> > Date: 2015/09/22 01:33
> > Subject: Re: [OpenStack-Infra] Considering branches in the sync
> > between repo and Zanata
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2015, at 09:08 AM, Ying Chun Guo wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Here is a new requirement.
> > > I want to consider branches while synchronizing between repo and
> > > translation server.
> > >
> > > For example, now the syncronization is between the master branch in
> repo
> > > and the master version in Zanata.
> > > After liberty branch is created in repo, usually at the time when RC1
> is
> > > cut,
> > > I will create the corresponding "liberty" version in Zanata.
> > > All the translations in Liberty should be made in "liberty" version,
> > > and the "master" version in Zanata will be opened for M release.
> > >
> > > If I want to keep the sync both for master branch and liberty branch,
> > > how many changes should make to the current infra files ?
> > > Is it difficult to make the update ?
> > >
> > The change to make this happen doesn't seem too difficult. I have pushed
> > a series of patches to do it starting with
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/225951/
>
> Thank you for the quick response.
>

> > In that series we basically handle the pushes to Zanata first as thats
> > easier, then follow up with making the jobs handle pushes to Gerrit, and
> > finally I chose oslo.versionedobjects to be the first project to get the
> > liberty jobs as it was the test project for the Zanata transition as
> > well. One thing to note is I haven't done this for Horizon or Django
> > OpenStack Auth as they are slightly different but it should follow the
> > same process.
>
> Liberty translation plan includes Horizon, Django OpenStack Auth and
> Nova.
> Today Nova will cut its RC1 and I will create the corresponding version
> in
> nova,
> and ask our translators to work with the "liberty" version.
> Horizon's RC1 will be happened in this week too.
I will shift the change series focus to those projects.

> I hope the jobs handle pushes to Gerrit could be ready by Oct.4. Because
> liberty
> translations are planned to be merged around Oct.5. If the jobs are not
> ready,
> manually import translations might need to be done.
> I don't have any timeline for the jobs handle pushes to Zanata .Because
> after RC1,
> it is "strict string freeze", string changes are not allowed to liberty
> branches.
> But anyway, you could set up your plan. I just hope jobs handle pushes to
> Gerrit
> ready on time.
I would expect to get this working as the changes themselves are not
very complicated. The only major item I need to figure out is whether or
not the zanata cli client will create those versions if they don't
exist. I think we want the jobs to not create the versions and just fail
if you haven't configured zanata for that version.

Also, worst case we can do a manual pull from Zanata and push into
Gerrit if the number of projects that need stable/liberty version
support is small. I can work on that if we don't manage to get the jobs
working with the new versions first.

> > If you want to look these over that would be great. Looking for feedback
> > on the process before we continue to plan for other projects like
> > Horizon. Hopefully this works as a good illustration of how this may
> > work.
> >
> > One last thing to note, I think the versions in Zanata should match the
> > branch names in git. So we would want to have a version of
> > 'stable/liberty' instead of 'liberty'. That makes the scripting slightly
> > easier and should make it clear what the mapping is between projects and
> > Zanata.
>
> I understand a same version name could make easier.
> Yet Zanata doesn't support "/" in version name.
> Because version name is part of the resource URL.
> Do you like to use another character instead like "stable-liberty",
> or just use "liberty"?
I would say use stable-liberty then we can just do a bulk replacement of
all '/'s to '-' which is simpler than having rules like if you have a
stable prefix drop it. I will update the jobs to do a replacement of /
to -.

Clark