[OpenStack-Infra] Setting up an Asterisk server

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Thu Jul 11 02:29:35 UTC 2013

Paul Belanger <paul.belanger at polybeacon.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> I agree, I think the specific conference functionality need is going
>>> to drive which version of Asterisk we use.  Unfortantly, Asterisk 10
>>> is already in security fixes only, and EOL shortly [2]. So we should
>>> consider 1.8 or 11.

>>> I personally prefer Debian / Ubuntu, but ultimately falls to the
>>> -infra team (assuming they are managing) which OS to use. As for which
>>> packaging repo to use, I'd vote a distro over packages.asterisk.org,
>>> they tend to get more packaging love :)
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by "love", but the version quoted as being in
>> precise, 1.8.10.1, was released in March of 2012.  The 1.8.x series is
>> up to 1.8.22 at this point.
>>
>> I personally really don't care about the distro.  I just want a modern
>> version of Asterisk while minimizing work needed to get it.
>>
>> I hope that Ubuntu package includes security patches.  The following
>> security bugs are present in 1.8.10.1:
>>
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-004.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-005.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-006.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-007.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-008.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-010.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-011.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-012.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-013.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-014.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-015.html
>> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2013-003.html
>>
> Let me retract my comments about 'love', as they don't add to the
> conversation. Asterisk from Ubuntu is not actively maintained, Debian
> is another story, the pkg-voip team does a very good job dealing with
> security fixes.  However, Asterisk 11 is not in the repo yet do to
> embedded libraries.

>>> They are the only things supported right now.  Additionally, the
>>> manifests require specific functionally merged into Asterisk.  I
>>> believe Asterisk 11 has everything needed, but would have to double
>>> check.  My manifests rely heavy on specific configuration file
>>> functionality in Asterisk (EG: #include, #tryinclude statement). Like
>>> I said, the setup works great but we'd need to do some work on them to
>>> confirm Asterisk 11 would work.
>>>
>>> If we do decided to use the manifests, I don't have an issue stepping
>>> up and doing the leg work on them.  I need to do it eventually, and
>>> helping OpenStack would be a good cause.
>>>
>>> [2] https://wiki.asterisk.org/wiki/display/AST/Asterisk+Versions

Sorry I let this hang.

We're about to roll out our first production CentOS server, so I think
at this point we've crossed that bridge so we may as well slide down the
slope.  I'm sorry I couldn't mix any more metaphors in that sentence.

At any rate, yeah, we can handle CentOS6 now, and it sounds like from
what the two of you have written, it's probably the best bet for
Asterisk 11.

Paul, would you be interested in porting your modules to Asterisk 11 on
CentOS?

-Jim