[OpenStack-Infra] Setting up an Asterisk server

Paul Belanger paul.belanger at polybeacon.com
Mon Jul 1 17:34:54 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 07/01/2013 12:29 PM, Paul Belanger wrote:
>>>
>>> It's definitely bleeding edge.  I think the standards are still in flux,
>>> as well.
>>>
>>> Since the primary use case here is conferencing, perhaps a more
>>> compelling reason to use something newer than Asterisk 1.8 is the newer,
>>> and much better conferencing application, ConfBridge, starting in
>>> Asterisk 10.  It doesn't require special kernel support like the older
>>> conferencing app, MeetMe.  It's more efficient, more configurable, and
>>> has some basic video support.
>>>
>> I agree, I think the specific conference functionality need is going
>> to drive which version of Asterisk we use.  Unfortantly, Asterisk 10
>> is already in security fixes only, and EOL shortly [2]. So we should
>> consider 1.8 or 11.

>>> You can get up to date packages for CentOS 6 from Digium.
>>>
>>> http://packages.asterisk.org/centos/centos-asterisk-11.repo
>>>
>>> I think that's what I would go with.  When Paul and I worked there, the
>>> same thing was available for Ubuntu, but it has since died off.
>>>
>> I personally prefer Debian / Ubuntu, but ultimately falls to the
>> -infra team (assuming they are managing) which OS to use. As for which
>> packaging repo to use, I'd vote a distro over packages.asterisk.org,
>> they tend to get more packaging love :)
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "love", but the version quoted as being in
> precise, 1.8.10.1, was released in March of 2012.  The 1.8.x series is
> up to 1.8.22 at this point.
>
> I personally really don't care about the distro.  I just want a modern
> version of Asterisk while minimizing work needed to get it.
>
> I hope that Ubuntu package includes security patches.  The following
> security bugs are present in 1.8.10.1:
>
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-004.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-005.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-006.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-007.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-008.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-010.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-011.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-012.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-013.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-014.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2012-015.html
> http://downloads.asterisk.org/pub/security/AST-2013-003.html

Let me retract my comments about 'love', as they don't add to the
conversation. Asterisk from Ubuntu is not actively maintained, Debian
is another story, the pkg-voip team does a very good job dealing with
security fixes.  However, Asterisk 11 is not in the repo yet do to
embedded libraries.

--
Paul Belanger | PolyBeacon, Inc.
Jabber: paul.belanger at polybeacon.com | IRC: pabelanger (Freenode)