[OpenStack-I18n] [I18n] Zanata status + call for volunteers on Weblate migration

Ian Y. Choi ianyrchoi at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 16:46:03 UTC 2022

Hi all,

First, thank you all for contributing to OpenStack with globalization
by contributing translations, coordinating translations with
artifacts, and making sure that those translations are shipped with
releases to all over the world (we are calling it I18n -
Internationalization).

While OpenStack I18n could be healthier with the tremendous help from
translators as well as many OpenStack upstream contributors & teams
such as infrastructure, release management, and documentation, the
current translation platform we are using on
https://translate.openstack.org relies on Zanata, an open-source
translation platform which upstream activities were stopped [1].
Currently, there are several issues reported - most things have been
resolved while it repeats / worses as time goes:

- OpenID authentication issues for new registration users on
translate.openstack.org [2]
- Translation job failure issues since Zanata client did not work with
a newer Java / job compatibility issues with Python versions [3]
- Missing translation jobs for Xena/Yoga stable versions on Zanata [4]

Considering the situation, to solve the root cause of the situation, I
am calling for volunteers on Weblate migration. The detailed
activities would continue from what the previous I18n PTL already
investigated, identified, and documented to [5] [6]. There would be
diverse work items with developer perspective as well as translators
and operators. Hope that there are many volunteers to move forward.

Meanwhile, I updated the "Translations & Priority" part on
https://translate.openstack.org homepage.
Note that stable versions are minimized to Horizon and dashboard
projects, and ping me if there would be lots of translation work
especially during R-3 to R-1.

Looking forward to an enhanced open source translation platform
landing soon with OpenInfra.

[1] https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/trans@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/F2JZTYSK3L5JAZY6VSVGDGNNQ4ATG4HP/
[2] https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2022-February/003550.html
[3] https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/project-config/+/850962