[Openstack-i18n] ATC candidates listing - call for coodinators' action

Akihiro Motoki amotoki at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 14:01:27 UTC 2015

Hi Daisy,

Please find my response inline.
One important point is a correction on the fact about ATC status,
and some comment from my feeling.

> Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 08/04/2015 08:38:50 PM:
>
> > From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> > To: Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN
> > Cc: Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org>, "openstack-
> > i18n at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> > Date: 08/04/2015 08:39 PM
> > Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] ATC candidates listing - call for
> > coodinators' action
> >
> > Thanks Daisy,
> >
> > 2015年8月4日火曜日、Ying Chun Guo<guoyingc at cn.ibm.com>さんは書きました:
> > Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 08/03/2015 06:01:10 PM:
> >
> > > From: Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> > > To: Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN
> > > Cc: Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org>, "openstack-
> > > i18n at lists.openstack.org" <openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>
> > > Date: 08/03/2015 06:01 PM
> > > Subject: Re: [Openstack-i18n] ATC candidates listing - call for
> > > coodinators' action
> > >
> > > Hi Daisy,
> > >
> > > I am confused with the wiki page you wrote about becoming a new
> translator.
> > > The wiki page mentions only Zanata and Transifex is not mentioned.
> > >
> > > Should a new translator use Zanata *right now* (and at least for
> > > Libetry) for  translations?
> > > AFAIK, we are still using Transifex. I was ask from a Japanese folk
> > > who wants to start translations
> > > and advised him to use Transifex. Is it correct or not?
> > >

> > I'm sorry if I make you confused.
> > The plan is to use Zanata for liberty translation.
> > The wiki page describes steps to join I18n team when we use Zanata
> > in the future.
> > So I don't cover Transifex.
> >
> > May I add a note on Transifex, which describes we are still using
> > Transifex atm.
> >

> We probably will use Zanata for Liberty dashboard translation, which will
> start on September.
> I don't know you need to emphasis that we are still using Transifex .

Good to know we have Zanata in the next month :-)
Thanks for all of your efforts.

The reason I asked about Transifex until Zanata migration will be
clarified after you read my comments below.

> > > What is the official process and suggestions?
> > >
> > > If someone has made a work on Transifex from now,
> > > can he/she get ATC status if he/she satisfies the requirements?
> > > If not, we should announce the situation more clearly to avoid
> confusion.
> > >

> > The primary goal to get ATC status for translators is to get them a
> > free registration code for Tokyo summit.
> > I have exported statistic data of translators' contributions from
> > *Transifex* .
> > If a translator contributed more than 200 new words translations
> > since 2014.11.1, he is able to get a free code to summit.
> > We don't start to use Zanata officially. So I don't use Zanata data.
> >
> > If you have more questions, please let me know.
> >
> >  Are translation activities on Transifex taken into account?
> > I know you downloaded Transifex stats but can we gather the latest stats?
> > Though it might not happen, I think we need to consider the future.
> > What is the period? since 2014 Nov 1 to when? to Liberty release?
>
> In two dev life cycle, people who translate more than 200 words will get a
> registration code.
> I just following the similar way with openstack dev teams.
> 2014 Nov 1 is the date we starting Kilo development.
> The end date is when I exported the statistic data.
>

> Just like,when openstack foundation decide the dev ATC list to distribute
> their registration codes,
> the end date is also in the middle of a release.

I think this is the point you misunderstand. It is not what really happens.

I would like to explain two points I think you misunderstand:
- When ATC registration codes are sent?
- ATC status definition itself.

[When ATC registration codes are sent?]
The foundation sends registration codes for folks with ATC status multiple
times.
The first mail is usually sent at the middle of the release, but that's not
all.
The foundation updates their ATC list periodically and send registration
codes
for newly added ATC until the dev cycle finished. (AFAIK, we have two or
three extra rounds.)
As a a result, all developers

[ATC status definition]
ATC status was previously given to contributors in the past two release
cycle, but
AFAIK from Vancouver Summit it was changed and contributor in the last one
release cycle
can get ATC status. Though I don't have the original definition at the
moment,
it is what Stefano answered at ask.openstack.org [1], so I believe it is
the latest and
reliable information.

[1]
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/45531/atc-pass-for-the-openstack-summit/

I only calculate the "translate words" this time, the "review words" is not
> included.
> Because I'm not able to get the review words from Transifex.
> In the future, both the translation and review will be take into
> consideration when calculating contributions.
>
> The primary goal to get this ATC list is to get them registration codes
> for Tokyo summit.
> There could be more people added to the list in the future.
> ATC list are not unchanged.

The first point is the main reason that I am asking in this thread.
I would like to clarify what are different from the usual process
and what we can if we follow the normal ATC definition.

The actual definition of ATC for normal (non-I18n) contributors are
as described above, but we are in a special stage and we may be able
to have a bit different definition. If so, it is better to announce how it
is different
from the normal ATC definition.

I am not sure how many such folks we have from now on,
so IMHO we don't need to update the translation status from Transifex.
If someone claims his/her ATC status based on a stats we haven't covered,
we can and should coordinate his/her ATC status with the foundation.

# If we don't have any requests, we can close Transifex translation and
# force all translators to wait Zanata migration.

I hope this discussion helps us.