[Openstack-i18n] Pootle and Zanata trial - summary of responses from translators

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Wed Nov 5 10:57:43 UTC 2014

Hello, all

Till now, I got responses from 5 translators in Japanese, Korean, Spanish,
French and Chinese translation team.
4 of them clearly described their preferences is Zanata.

Here are some comments from them to support Zanata:
   "Using Zanata, cooperation with other translators is easier: chat room,
   listing translators who are translating at the same time, comments if a
   translation is rejected."
   "The role management of Zanata is powerful. It clearly defines
   translators, reviewers, and project maintainers."
   "I like the Project-wide search and replace feature in particular. It
   allows translators or maintainer to search for a word, a phrase, a
   sentence, or a paragraph and replace it across multiple files within a
   single project. It is extremely useful when you do the final editing or
   reviewing."
   "I guess the impression a translator can have is that Zanata is more
   user friendly, whilst Pootle looks a bit quirky makinf finding info or
   the right links a bir more difficult. I think Zanata is very easy to use
   and also promote s translator engagement."

Also, there are some problems with Pootle which will block us:
   The support of CJK (Chinese font, Japanese font and Korean font) is
   poor, for example: saved translations in Korean font is ???;  saved
   translations in CJK fonts do not seem to be recognized by the TM.
   No official client till now. Our current translation process (uploading,
   downloading and reviewing) could not be implemented.

So as a summary of the translators evaluation, we would prefer to use
Zanata.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)