[Openstack-i18n] I18n meeting tomorrow

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Thu May 1 09:35:57 UTC 2014

Meeting minutes are written below.
Feel free to correct if I'm wrong
or add comments if I missed.

Best regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN wrote on 2014/04/30 17:01:33:

> Ying Chun Guo/China/IBM at IBMCN
> 2014/04/30 17:01

> openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org,
>
> cc
>
> Subject
>
> [Openstack-i18n] I18n meeting tomorrow
>
> Hello, all
>
> At the meeting at the beginning of April, we decided to move the
> Europe/India friendly meeting time 1 hour later.
> So let's meet on at UTC 0800 tomorrow in the channel
"#openstack-meeting".

> We could discuss following items:
> * Including the final : with strings (http://lists.openstack.org/
> pipermail/openstack-i18n/2014-April/000573.html)

Here are two points from translation team, summarized from the discussion
in the meeting:
1. The punctuation is necessary for a team to produce high quality
translations, we should keep it, except spaces.
2. Developers should avoid to concatenate strings and use variables
instead, in order to not use strings ending with spaces.

> * contextual-markers for better translations (http://
> lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-i18n/2014-April/000528.html)

Use context markers only for new strings, add to existing strings if a
problem is reported.
Yves-Gwenaël Bourhis will add some documentation for developer education.
We will have the second discussion when the document is ready.
https://fedoraproject.org/w/uploads/b/bf/Guidelines_for_contextualization.pdf
 could be a reference.

> * I18n related sessions in design summit

Welcome to attend if you are there:
http://junodesignsummit.sched.org/event/4d579c56cead3de863599c569752be14#.U2IUMOIz5ng
http://junodesignsummit.sched.org/event/13f6f3afb160dc2775f7a774188510cd#.U2IU9OIz5ng