[Openstack-i18n] Consensus on translation update deadline for future stable update

Ying Chun Guo guoyingc at cn.ibm.com
Mon Dec 9 23:03:08 UTC 2013

Thank you for your work.
See my comments below.

Regards
Ying Chun Guo (Daisy)

Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com> wrote on 2013/12/10 00:07:47:

> Akihiro Motoki <amotoki at gmail.com>
> 2013/12/10 00:07

> "openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org"
<Openstack-i18n at lists.openstack.org>,

> cc
>
> Subject
>
> [Openstack-i18n] Consensus on translation update deadline for future
> stable update
>
> As you may know, I discussed the deadline of translation import for
> stable release update
> with stable-maint team and we have a good consensus on it.
> It applies to future stable maintenance updates too.
>
>      For the stable maintenance updates, the deadline of translation
updates
>      from I18N team is freeze+3 days.
>
> It is worth documented in StableBranch wiki page.

It's great that we get the consensus.
What is the "freeze" day?
How can I understand the stable release schedule?
I'd like to understand what items need to be done after the freeze day,
and the influence if we move translation update backward 3 days.

> Although it sometimes be short when considering holidays/vacations or
> other reasons,
> IMO 3 days is a enough period to catch up our translations because
> stable updates
> would not have many string updates.

Yes, I agree.
I just cost 15 minutes to catch up the updates in this stable release,
because it's only a few strings in this update.
I think the problem is how the coordinators can be notified.
There are several mails going back and forth in the ML.
I do wonder how many our coordinators would read. :))

I don't know if personal emails to coordinators will work.

> As a next step we should have a similar consensus for normal release.
> The situation for normal release is different from stable updates, but
> it is important
> to make translation updates (I18N team work) a part of the release
process.
> I believe Daisy will coordinate the discussion.

There was a short discussion in the HK summit about translation
coordination in Icehouse release.
The string frozen date is not moved forward or backward, it is still same
as feather frozen date.
I don't think moving the string frozen date will bring any advantages.
There are always "exceptions".

In my mind, in a normal release, some important dates are:
string frozen date
RC1 release ( usually 4 weeks after)
RC2 release ( usually 1 or 2 weeks after)
final release

Is it a "freeze date" in the normal release?
I'd like to understand from your point of view
what are the differences between normal release and stable update.