[OpenStack-docs] EWG Workload Reference Architecture

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Sat Jan 28 17:38:36 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 28, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Alexandra Settle <a.settle at outlook.com>
wrote:

> Hi Leong,
>

> I have replied to your email that you send to Lana and I J hopefully my
> answers help.
>

> I think the best option for this would be to include this in the
> Deployment Guides section: http://docs.openstack.org/
> project-deploy-guide/newton/
>

> Using these instructions: http://docs.openstack.org/
> contributor-guide/project-deploy-guide.html
>

> Does anyone have any other suggestions that might help Leong?

Hi Alex and Leong and all,

This is the document set I mentioned in my API report last week.
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2017-January/009540.html

In my view, these belong on developer.openstack.org and not
docs.openstack.org. It's not a deployment guide for deploying OpenStack but
rather about apps on OpenStack. Still, the deployment guide is the latest
new document build so I'll point to that in a sec.

I'd like this to go on developer.openstack.org, and you will need to also
determine where to put it on that front page so that people can find it
easily.

As I noted on IRC, this type of maintenance work is the responsibility of
your team and not something that the docs team takes on as their own. I
hope that makes sense. Feel free to ask more specific questions. We are
happy to support and help.

Next steps, to me, are:

1. Propose a patch for where this would link to from the landing page on
developer.openstack.org, by editing the page at
https://github.com/openstack/api-site/blob/master/www/index.html.
2. Propose build patches similar to this one:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/391499/ which was the most recent new
guide.
3. Make sure your doc pages link to your existing bug queue by configuring
the conf.py (I think you said you already have one for tracking).
https://github.com/openstack/api-site/blob/master/api-quick-start/source/conf.py#L74
is an example, and also documented here
https://github.com/openstack/openstackdocstheme#using-the-theme.

What do you think?
Anne

> [...]
> *Subject: *[OpenStack-docs] EWG Workload Reference Architecture
>

> Hi documentation team,
>

> This is Leong from Intel and lead few efforts from OpenStack Enterprise WG
> (EWG).
>
> (apologize for the long email below as I tried to elaborate the history
> and the intention here).
>

> I would like to propose to include EWG Workload Reference Architecture as
> one of the published content at https://docs.openstack.org.
>

> EWG is developing a series of 'user/tenant-level' workload reference
> architectures (e.g. eCommerce, video processing) to help users to learn and
> understand how to deploy different types of applications/workloads unto an
> OpenStack Cloud. These reference architectures describe the list of
> OpenStack services that can be used to support the workload and provides
> sample code (e.g. Heat, Murano, etc) to bootstrap the workload environment
> on an OpenStack Cloud.
>

> In the previous cycle, we worked with Foundation and produced two Workload
> Reference Architecture (Web Applications [1] and Big Data [2]) and
> published to OpenStack Sample Config [3]. We used to develop these content
> on Google Doc with biweekly voice-call meeting. Once the content is ready,
> we pass over to Foundation's technical writer for final editing and graphic
> design.
>

> The target audience of these workload reference architecture is primarily
> operator users or app developer who deploy applications on cloud.
>
> It is similar like a “sample manual / tutorial / user guides”
>

> We are looking to improve the overall process:
>
> (1) to engage more content contributor/reviewer across different timezone
>
> (2) to streamline the review and publishing process so that final content
> (either new workload or revision to existing one) can be made available as
> soon as possible.
>
> (3) to standardize content publication through Docs guideline with a
> common landing page at docs.openstack.org for App Deployer/Developer to
> consume.
>

> We have started the process to move the “content development” to
> git/gerrit.
>
> We have setup a EWG repo [4,5] and included under UC governance [6].
>
> We are wondering how we can collaborate with Docs team and publish the
> content onto https://docs.openstack.org?
>
> Any suggestion would mostly welcome!
>

> Thanks!
>

> [1] https://www.openstack.org/assets/software/mitaka/OpenStack-
> WorkloadRefArchWebApps-v7.pdf
>
> [2] https://www.openstack.org/assets/software/mitaka/
> OpenStack-WorkloadRefBigData-v4.pdf
>
> [3] https://www.openstack.org/software/sample-configs/
>
> [4] https://github.com/openstack/workload-ref-archs
>
> [5] https://github.com/openstack/workload-ref-archs/tree/
> master/workload-ref-archs/web-applications

> ---
>
> Yih *Leong* Sun, PhD
>
> Senior Software Cloud Architect | Open Source Technology Center | Intel

Read my blog: justwrite.click <https://justwriteclick.com>
Subscribe to Docs|Code: docslikecode.com