[OpenStack-docs] Newton Design Summit notes

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Apr 29 20:29:36 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

These are my working notes from the Design Summit sessions, in case it's useful to anyone.

Lana

*API Guides workgroup*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-workgroup-api

Talked through migration tasks; live demo from Anne.

Goals:
* Migration to RST + YAML: sign up for a service on the wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#API_Reference_Plan
* Freeze api-site/api-ref
* Add a redirect to new HTML pages
* API site bug list cleanup: move specific service API ref bugs to project's Launchpad
* Write tutorials!
* Work on "First Application with OpenStack" patches and updates.

*Mitaka Retrospective*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-mitakaretro

Successes: Install Guide testing and release improved; more contributions from developers (particularly neutron); RST conversion pretty much complete - docs tools are becoming more simple; more bugs closed; useful Contributor Guide - one source of information; DocImpact change for core projects works fine

*Install Guide workgroup*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-workgroup-install

The original spec to create a way for projects to publish Install Guides has now been merged, thanks to consensus being achieved at the Design Summit session, and a few minor edits: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/301284/ We can now begin work on this. There is a new spec up to cover the remainder of the work to be done on the existing Install Guide: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310588 This still needs some iterations to get it into shape (including determining the name we are going to use for the Install Guide). So, patches welcome.

*Docs Toolchain/Infra Session*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-toolsinfra

Discussed retiring XML tools now pretty much everything is converted to RST. Also discussion around possibly automating testing of the Install Guide in a future release, and automating Config Ref scripts.

Goals:
* Docbook XML tool removal
* OpenStackdocstheme work (an documenting same)
* Config option to mark documents as deprecated (assuming we will work out how to uniformly decide that)
* Get off cloudsites, ability to delete properly. Spec: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/doc-publishing.html

*Contributor Guide*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-contributorguide

Discussed what's missing from the guide. Also discussion about some process/governance items that haven't been formally decided or documented. Also need guidance on process to make significant changes to the guide.

Goals:
* UI/UX section improvement
* Improve documentation of docs tools/theme etc
* Add diagram recommendations
* Documentation new Install Guide process
* Process discussions: Who should follow this guide? Introduction of a minimal review time? Section about contribution recommendations: what devs should contribute, review expectations of docs, expected turn-around time, etc. How to deprecate/remove docs? Also define which are continuous-release, versioned, etc.

*Security Guide workgroup*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-workgroup-security

Discussed if current governance/processes are working (they are), getting more contributions, the printed guide, and what needs work.

Goals:
* Pull printed guide.
* Update neutron section

*Networking Guide workgroup*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-workgroup-networking

Discussed what required updating. We're getting good feedback from neutron devs.

*Newton planning*

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-newtonplan

Session to determine list of Newton tasks. See http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-docs/2016-April/008499.html

Lana Brindley