[OpenStack-docs] Newton Priorities

Lana Brindley openstack at lanabrindley.com
Fri Apr 29 15:24:48 UTC 2016

Greetings from Austin!

Yesterday, we held our final docs sessions for the Newton Summit, and I want to take a moment to thank everyone who came by and took the time to ask questions, make suggestions, share opinions, give answers, and generally participate in the planning process. Every session was well-attended, we had some really productive conversations, and I'm confident that we have a solid set of docs deliverables for Newton.

We finished up the docs sessions with a Newton planning session, where we gathered together the deliverables from each of the other sessions through week, and formed them into something approaching a coherent plan. That etherpad is located here: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/austin-docs-newtonplan

The edited list of deliverables follows, and we have the docs contributor's meetup this afternoon from 2pm to continue discussion on this before we all head back home. I will continue gathering feedback on this for another week or so, and will communicate the final list in my first Newton newsletter at the end of next week.

Ops and Arch Guides:
* Review content of both guides, and delete anything out of date
* Review architecture of both guides, and possibly combine
* Move Ops Guide into openstack-manuals repo
* Gather content from Ops internal documentation

HA Guide (These tasks need confirmation from the HA Guide team):
* Move HA Guide into openstack-manuals OR consolidate information into other guides (e.g. admin).

Install Guide:
* Project-specific Install Guides to be written/maintained by each project: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/301284/
* Remainder of the work to be done on the existing Install Guide: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/310588
* New spec/poc for potentially automating test process in a future release

Contributor Guide:
* UI/UX section approvement (Linette and the team)
* Improve documentation of docs tools/theme etc
* Add diagram recommendations
* Documentation new Install Guide process
* Process discussions: Who should follow this guide? Introduction of a minimal review time? Section about contribution recommendations: what devs should contribute, review expectations of docs, expected turn-around time, etc. How to deprecate/remove docs? Also define which are continuous-release, versioned, etc.

Security Guide:
* Pull printed guide.
* Updating neutron section

API Docs:
* Migration to RST + YAML: sign up for a service on the wiki: https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Documentation/Migrate#API_Reference_Plan
* Freeze api-site/api-ref
* Add a redirect to new HTML pages
* API site bug list cleanup: move specific service API ref bugs to project's Launchpad
* Write tutorials!
* Work on "First Application with OpenStack" patches and updates.

User Guides
* Work with the Ops Guide to check for duplicated content
* Check for missing content and out of date content - fix links
* Bring new service projects into the User Guides - esp. projects that have info in dev docs that could be moved into the user guide
* IA plan - consistency, links, findability plus tables, code snippets, naming conventions (use contributor guide)

Docs Tools/Infra:
* Docbook XML tool removal
* OpenStackdocstheme work
* Config option to mark documents as deprecated (assuming we will work out how to uniformly decide that)
* Get off cloudsite, ability to delete properly. Spec: http://specs.openstack.org/openstack-infra/infra-specs/specs/doc-publishing.html

Lana

--
Lana Brindley