[OpenStack-docs] move of documentation-related wiki content

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu May 28 20:59:17 UTC 2015

On 2015-05-28 22:31:19 +0200 (+0200), Christian Berendt wrote:
[...]
> Maybe it is better to move the developers guide out of the
> infrastructure user manual into a generic contributor guide
> published on developer.o.o?

Well, that one is in the infrastructure manual in part because it's
the only way we could find to have a concise developer workflow
document describing how to interact with our systems without it
getting overloaded by everyone's pet tips and tricks and turning it
into the unreadable mass of mostly unnecessary detail we originally
had in the wiki.

The infra manual exists primarily as the new home for the old
Gerrit/Jenkins/Git and git-review workflow documentation from the
wiki so we can keep it from turning back into a free-for-all
disaster, but it's designed as an interaction guide for four
personas we identified (developer, core reviewer, project driver and
repository creator).

> There are other guides inside the infrastructure user manual not
> directly related to openstack-infra ("Learn the Gerrit Workflow in
> the Sandbox", "Core Reviewer’s Guide", "Python Developer’s
> Guide").

I agree, with the exception of the Core Reviewer's Guide. The other
two are there because people wrote them and wanted somewhere to put
them. At a minimum we need to move them to a tutorials subsection of
the manual.

Also there's the project-team guide[1][2] initiated out of recent TC
discussions which might be a fit for some things as well.

[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/project-team-guide
[2] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/project-team-guide
--
Jeremy Stanley