[OpenStack-docs] Copying from wikipedia ;(

Dave Walker email at daviey.com
Sun Jul 12 09:36:42 UTC 2015

On 12 Jul 2015 8:02 am, "Lana Brindley" <openstack at lanabrindley.com> wrote:

> On 12/07/15 03:39, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> > I just reviewed one change and then some alarm bells started when I saw
> > "bla bla [2] ...." without a reference to [2]. Googling I found the
> > complete paragraph in wikipedia which is IMHO not acceptable.
> >
> > I abandoned this change so that it will not go in.
>
> Thanks!
>

> > Do we need some large boilerplate somewhere that says "Do not copy
> > contents from anywhere - especially wikipedia?"
>
> It should be self-evident, but for the sake of completeness, maybe add
> something to the HOWTO and/or the conventions page?

There is perhaps the two exceptions?:

That the contents submitted to Wikipedia (or other source) was done so by
the person (or employer) contributing to OpenStack docs and are presumably
free to re-licence under the terms of their choice (unless exclusively was
provided to the original source).

If the rights holder enjoys exclusive ownership over the content, then they
could also choose to re-licence for contribution to OpenStack docs, more
for the example of a private blog or publication owner.

Although, I agree these two examples are rare - but entirely plausible.

--
Kind Regards,
Dave Walker