[OpenStack-docs] global requirements for doc packages?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Apr 17 17:47:44 UTC 2015

On 04/17/2015 07:39 PM, Anne Gentle wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com
> <mailto:aj at suse.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     we've setup our doc repositories so that the dependencies are the
>     same as described in the global-requirements.txt file that is part
>     of the requirements project.
>
>     This gives us two things:
>     1) Syncing of updates to all our repos
>     2) Syncing of requirements across repos
>
>     Anne and myself often have a hard time getting changes into the
>     requirements repository.
>
>     So, I came up with exposing the soft flag to the update process. The
>     soft flag allows to update a project without touching or complaining
>     about files that are not in the global-requirements.txt file:
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173200/
>     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173201/
>
>     But I wonder whether all this is worth it and we should not remove
>     our repositories from requirements.
>
>     The primary use case of requirements is to make installation of
>     projects possible with sharing common requirements.
>
>     It's nice that you can install the doc tools on these machines as
>     well but not a hard requirement.
>
>     It's nice that we can change one place - global-requirements.txt -
>     and then the proposal bot updates everything.
>
>     But it's not a necessity to have it.
>
>     I'd like to have your advise on how to continue:
>     a) Continue as we do today
>     b) Use the soft updating as my two patches aboe
>     c) Remove our repos from projects.txt of the requirements repo
>
>     If we go with c, keep in mind that our tool openstack-doc-tools will
>     stay in the global-requirements.txt file since it's used by the
>     trove project which is the only project that builds DocBook XML
>     documents using our toolchain,
>

> If we continue as we are today, do we get the same requirements for
> building docs as for building the rest of OpenStack? Yes, and that's
> important.
>
> I think it's fine to go with c) and not add soft flags. However, I don't
> want to remove all the docs repos from projects.txt of requirements. I

I guess you mean the dependencies from global-requirments.txt. I have
not done this in my patch.

> do think that for each release we want to indicate which version of
> openstackdocstheme to use to build. Does that sound do-able?

Yes, we can add this to the global requirements before the requirements
freeze if there are projects using it,

    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)