[OpenStack-docs] global requirements for doc packages?

Andreas Jaeger aj at suse.com
Fri Apr 17 17:45:52 UTC 2015

On 04/16/2015 09:41 PM, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we've setup our doc repositories so that the dependencies are the same
> as described in the global-requirements.txt file that is part of the
> requirements project.
>
> This gives us two things:
> 1) Syncing of updates to all our repos
> 2) Syncing of requirements across repos
>
> Anne and myself often have a hard time getting changes into the
> requirements repository.
>
> So, I came up with exposing the soft flag to the update process. The
> soft flag allows to update a project without touching or complaining
> about files that are not in the global-requirements.txt file:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173200/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173201/
>
> But I wonder whether all this is worth it and we should not remove our
> repositories from requirements.
>
> The primary use case of requirements is to make installation of projects
> possible with sharing common requirements.
>
> It's nice that you can install the doc tools on these machines as well
> but not a hard requirement.
>
> It's nice that we can change one place - global-requirements.txt - and
> then the proposal bot updates everything.
>
> But it's not a necessity to have it.
>
> I'd like to have your advise on how to continue:
> a) Continue as we do today
> b) Use the soft updating as my two patches aboe
> c) Remove our repos from projects.txt of the requirements repo

I'm going with c now after some discussion on IRC with Anne and updated
my patch:
https://review.openstack.org/173201

Note, I still thing we should not have *conflicting* requirements with
global requirements, so a "update.py --soft openstack-manuals" should be
imported regularly.

But this gives us the freedom to require in our repos openstackdocstheme
 > 1.0.7 without a change to requirements.txt,

    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)