[OpenStack-docs] global requirements for doc packages?

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Fri Apr 17 17:39:38 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 2:41 PM, Andreas Jaeger <aj at suse.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we've setup our doc repositories so that the dependencies are the same as
> described in the global-requirements.txt file that is part of the
> requirements project.
>
> This gives us two things:
> 1) Syncing of updates to all our repos
> 2) Syncing of requirements across repos
>
> Anne and myself often have a hard time getting changes into the
> requirements repository.
>
> So, I came up with exposing the soft flag to the update process. The soft
> flag allows to update a project without touching or complaining about files
> that are not in the global-requirements.txt file:
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173200/
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/173201/
>
> But I wonder whether all this is worth it and we should not remove our
> repositories from requirements.
>
> The primary use case of requirements is to make installation of projects
> possible with sharing common requirements.
>
> It's nice that you can install the doc tools on these machines as well but
> not a hard requirement.
>
> It's nice that we can change one place - global-requirements.txt - and
> then the proposal bot updates everything.
>
> But it's not a necessity to have it.
>
> I'd like to have your advise on how to continue:
> a) Continue as we do today
> b) Use the soft updating as my two patches aboe
> c) Remove our repos from projects.txt of the requirements repo
>
> If we go with c, keep in mind that our tool openstack-doc-tools will stay
> in the global-requirements.txt file since it's used by the trove project
> which is the only project that builds DocBook XML documents using our
> toolchain,

If we continue as we are today, do we get the same requirements for
building docs as for building the rest of OpenStack? Yes, and that's
important.

I think it's fine to go with c) and not add soft flags. However, I don't
want to remove all the docs repos from projects.txt of requirements. I do
think that for each release we want to indicate which version of
openstackdocstheme to use to build. Does that sound do-able?

Thanks!
Anne

> Andreas
> --
>  Andreas Jaeger aj@{suse.com,opensuse.org} Twitter/Identica: jaegerandi
>   SUSE LINUX GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 Nürnberg, Germany
>    GF: Felix Imendörffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild, Dilip Upmanyu,
>        Graham Norton, HRB 21284 (AG Nürnberg)
>     GPG fingerprint = 93A3 365E CE47 B889 DF7F  FED1 389A 563C C272 A126

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com