[OpenStack-docs] Usage of OmniGraffle

Steve Gordon sgordon at redhat.com
Fri Nov 28 16:33:32 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Matt Kassawara" <mkassawara at gmail.com>
> To: "Christian Berendt" <berendt at b1-systems.de>, openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org
>
> I see the situation a bit differently. I donate a lot of time to upstream
> contributions of which diagrams consume a significant portion and prefer to
> use whatever application makes the process most efficient and the output
> most professional providing it can support files that follow open
> standards. OmniGraffle meets these requirements. I don't see anyone
> complaining about the use of oXygen for XML files which has a tendency to
> occasionally restructure (indents, line lengths, etc.) files and add
> proprietary metadata (usually in comments) to them.

I imagine you see fewer complaints about the latter because we are all able to edit those files using whatever open source tool we want (vim, emacs, nano, gedit, kate, whatever) and the rendering of it to the viewer is ultimately still consistent as that's handled by the common docbook toolchain we all use.

As I understood it you were redoing all the diagrams with the intent of providing a consistent format that others who add or edit the diagrams in the future would be able to make them consistent. I don't think we can expect people to do that if they can't do it without using this tool.

-Steve