[Openstack-docs] Introduction and Install Guide: Horizon

Joseph Robinson joseph.robinson at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Jul 15 06:01:37 UTC 2014

When I look over from my screen I see an upside-down copy of Frank Herbert’s Dune on my book shelf, and my electric keyboard (sorry for the delay).

Thank you for the advice on the patch, and for the recent comments.

Best Regards,

Joe Robinson

Information Developer
Rackspace Hosting Pty Ltd

From: Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org<mailto:anne at openstack.org>>
Date: Wednesday, 2 July 2014 10:26 pm
To: Joseph Robinson <joseph.robinson at rackspace.com<mailto:joseph.robinson at rackspace.com>>
Cc: "openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>" <openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org<mailto:openstack-docs at lists.openstack.org>>
Subject: Re: [Openstack-docs] Introduction and Install Guide: Horizon

On Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:43 PM, Joseph Robinson <joseph.robinson at rackspace.com<mailto:joseph.robinson at rackspace.com>> wrote:
Hello to the Docs Team,

I’m sending an email out for two reasons: a patch for the Horizon section of the install guide, and an introduction.

The introduction is short: I'm Joe, I’ve been making contributions to OpenStack Docs for a few months, but I have not introduced myself yet. So hello all, and good too meet you.

Welcome! Glad to have you and thanks for the intro. Tell us more if you want. One question I ask people is "what do you see when you look over the top of your screen?"

Now onto the patch. I added a new section to the Horizon part of the install guide, and received two good comments about where the contents under the new section title belong:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/103474/

The TL:DR: the horizon content about dashboard customisation and storage sessions needs to move to the end of the Horizon install. Content also needs to be checked against the administrator guide.

I checked the install guide against the admin guide and found they have replicated content.

“Set up session storage for the dashboard” appears in both the install<http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/install-guide/install/apt/content/dashboard-sessions.html> and admin<http://docs.openstack.org/admin-guide-cloud/content/dashboard-sessions.html> guides

My plan is to:
*Remove the duplicated content from the install guide.
*Move any information on customisation and storage sessions from the start, to the end of the Horizon install guide, with links to the admin guide.

As you dig in there, you'll find it's just an xi:include of the dashboard_sessions section. So it's fine to link it but you'll see they are identical.

I agree with the reviewers that storage sessions info is provided for admins.

*Build up the introductory paragraphs for Horizon with correct information about the dashboard service so it matches the rest of the install guide.

Sorry for the long post. Is the plan for this patch ok?

Best Regards,

Joe Robinson

Information Developer
Rackspace Hosting Pty Ltd