[OpenStack-docs] Usage of OmniGraffle

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Dec 2 19:58:07 UTC 2014

On Fri, Nov 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM, Christian Berendt <berendt at b1-systems.de>
wrote:

> On 11/28/2014 03:46 PM, Matt Kassawara wrote:
> > rather straightforward. As for .graffle files in the repo, I would like
> > to store them somewhere because a lot of people appear to use
> > OmniGraffle and those files contain metadata that improves efficiency
> > over SVGs.
>
> I think that it is not correct to use proprietary software running on a
> proprietary operating system generating proprietary source files to
> create graphics for the OpenStack documentation. There is usable open
> source software to create graphics (like inkscape) and I think such
> software should be used and has to be used.

I know this sentiment runs deep in open source communities. I support the
spirit but won't enforce in practice other than to ensure open formats are
in our repo to ensure we're enabling correct licensing of the content.

For the Ops Guide, we don't use Adobe Illustrator for example, but the
source from O'Reilly is .ai files. However we don't have those source files
and have been editing png and svg in the community. I think there are
similarities here.

I think it makes sense to upload CC licensed images to the wiki, as done
for https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Icons where there are eps, svg, and
png.
I also think that it's not crucial that graffle files or ai files are
uploaded anywhere.

Generally we should document our approach to images, and it should include
a priority towards open source, but a higher priority towards licensing
than tooling.
Just my current thinking, feel free to persuade me for another line.