[OpenStack-docs] Install Guide planning

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Wed Dec 3 14:44:28 UTC 2014

Hi all,
We want to do a real-time chat about the Install Guide and Matt and Thomas,
Andreas and I can all make it at 19:00 UTC today, so we'll meet in
#openstack-meeting-alt. Feel free to join us. The late notice was
unavoidable this time, my apologies. I've added it to the OpenStack meeting
calendar.

Agenda:
Description of current state
- OpenStack Install Guide is published four times from single source using
conditional markup
- OpenStack Install Guide is in the upstream translation system
- there's a chapter about debconf for Debian configuration
- DevStack is documented for Ubuntu 14.04 (Trusty), Fedora 20 and
CentOS/RHEL 6.5 but not for OpenSuse or Debian
- There are documented supported install tools outside of upstream such as
RDO and Rackspace Private Cloud and Mirantis Fuel

Considerations when choosing path forward
- Stated goals for upstream install guide
- Audience analysis
- Task analysis
- Translations
- Workload and resourcing
- Tooling that enables conditionals
- Packaging considerations and differences

Description of possible solutions
- Continue with differences for Ubuntu/Debian
- Make Debian OpenStack Install Guide same as Ubuntu, continue to publish
Debian version
- Stop publishing Debian version until someone is willing to make it like
the rest of upstream
- Create/maintain debconf/Debian guide outside of docs.openstack.org;
continue publishing Debian version that matches other guides
 - Something else we haven't brought to the list or thought of yet

Thanks for taking the time to talk through it in real time.