[Openstack-docs] Openstack Networking (Neutron) documentation improvement request

Anne Gentle annegentle at justwriteclick.com
Thu Aug 29 13:07:31 UTC 2013

Hi Marco,
Thanks for your input.

I assure you we're acutely aware of the difficulties first-time-installers
have with the choice to install nova-network or neutron/quantum.

We have plans in place to revise the install documentation with a "choose
your own adventure" style of outline, because there are times when
nova-network is your better choice in production.

The simplest possible architecture we've identified is:
Compute with KVM, local ephemeral shared storage, nova-networks in
multi-host, MySQL, nova-api, default scheduler, RabbitMQ for Ubuntu, Qpid
for RHEL, Identity, Image with local storage, Dashboard. Use as many
defaults as you can, as identified by the deployment program, TripleO. Two
nodes - controller and compute node.

What we are painfully aware of is that if you start there, getting to
neutron is no easy task. So the next "adventure" or architecture would be,
substitute Neutron with the LinuxBridge plug-in.

The rest of the adventures and architectures are listed in
https://etherpad.openstack.org/havanainstall.

You can see we have our work cut out for us and we would certainly welcome
reviews on review.openstack.org as the install guides take shape for
Havana.

Anne Gentle
annegentle at justwriteclick.com