[Openstack-docs] Help with build

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Mon Aug 26 14:43:19 UTC 2013

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM, Lorin Hochstein
<lorin at nimbisservices.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

>>> I found the culprit:
>>> Remove from line 748 this include:
>>>
>>>             <xi:include
>>> href="../common/tables/swift-proxy-server-(filter:slo).xml"/>
>>>
>>> I guess you need to wrap that in a section but can't debug further now,
>>>

>> Yep,  the para table elements need to be wrapped in a section.
>>
>> I'm hesitant to stop validating individual files because many people need
>> to use a non-validating editor. Can we find a way to validate individual
>> files against a schema that we all agree to?
>>

> Anne:
>
> Is the individual file validation useful for people using a non-validating
> editor? Given that validate.py now runs maven on all changed books and will
> fail if a book doesn't build, is there any value added by running
> validation against individual files?
>
> The only advantage I could imagine is if the individual file validation
> gave clearer error messages than maven, but I'm not even sure if that's the
> case.

I'm thinking of the scenario where Tom got an error message from Maven but
still couldn't find the error. When I use a validating editor it's easy to
find. When I'm not, it's not. So my sense of the overall need is for more
fine-grained indicators to locate and troubleshoot.