[Openstack-docs] OpenStack docs review policy

Lorin Hochstein lorin at nimbisservices.com
Wed Aug 21 15:45:07 UTC 2013

Hi Anne:

Since you're updating the review policy, can you add the following?

For core members: they should only click Approve if they've given a +2?
There's been some confusion in the past among newer core members who have
given +1 (looks good to me but someone else must approve) and also an
"approve". (Note: this has happened to multiple people).

(This one isn't strictly about review policy...)
For submitters amending their patch: the updated commit log message
shouldn't break down the changes by individual patchset (i.e., shouldn't
put "patch set 2, added foo" in an amended commit message) since only the
final commit will be visible in the git history after it's accepted. (This
is the policy with the other OpenStack projects, and it's in the wiki
*somewhere*, but I wasn't able to find it after a cursory search).

Lorin

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 11:25 AM, Anne Gentle <anne at openstack.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm updating the Documentation/HowTo wiki page with the following
> description of our review policy. Please let me know if there are any
> questions. I'll definitely update the wiki page as we refine our policy.
> ---
> All community members can review doc patches and give them +1 or -1.
> Documentation Core members can give +2 or -2 votes and also click Approve
> so that the doc goes live, published to docs.openstack.org or
> api.openstack.org, based on the branch the patch is applied to.
>
> Because the Docs team is small, core members have the choice when
> reviewing and must use best judgement before publishing. Generally
> speaking, core members will wait for one other core member to +2 a doc
> patch. However if the change is small and the build works, a doc core
> member can +2 and Approve a change without waiting for another reviewer.
> This is a judgement call so docs core people should exercise judgement when
> using this option.
>
> Once two community members approve a doc patch, a doc core member can also
> review it and push it through without waiting for a second core member.
> ---
>
> Hopefully this helps all of us keep pushing through patches with a high
> accuracy level. Test instructions, build locally, then approve.
>
> Thanks,
> Anne

Lorin Hochstein
Lead Architect - Cloud Services