[TripleO] Removal of TripleO Zed Integration and Component Lines

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Tue May 16 20:31:50 UTC 2023

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 1:18 PM Dmitriy Rabotyagov
<noonedeadpunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Ronelle,
>
> It's actually not what was discussed and decided.
>
> After Zed, means starting from Antelope, which is the release after Zed.
> Zed release should still be able to accept patches and interested parties are allowed to contribute to the branch until it goes to the Extended Maintenance according to the release schedule [1].
>
> So there can be no active contributions to the Zed release, but CI or gating should not be dropped on purpose to prevent any interested party on contribute to the branch.

I feel the wording  "on purpose to prevent..." is a
mis-characterization of the intent.

The discussion resulted in no volunteers or contributors willing to
maintain TripleO Zed. The outcome was to consider it 'supported
but no maintainers'[1]. Now, I can't really describe how that works in
actual practice. Who is supporting it if there are no maintainers? Are
there a group of individuals somewhere that consider themselves the
supporters of TripleO Zed, but not the maintainers? To the best of my
knowledge, no, there is not.

To be clear, this patch
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/tripleo-ci/+/882759 is for zed
jobs on branchless CI repos. As there are no maintainers for Zed,  if
they start failing, we will need to mark them non-voting if we don't
remove them. The intent with removing them was to signal the reality
of the situation with what is actually still being maintained. And by
maintained, I mean people actually working on it.

If you would instead prefer that those jobs continue to exist, then
ok. I don't understand the status of them at this time, and I don't
expect them to stay passing (if they are). I also disagree that the
absence of those jobs prevents anyone from submitting a patch to
TripleO Zed.

The integration lines promoted through RDO results in repositories of
rpm's. When those are torn down (via the rdoproject.org patches), the
content will still exist, but it will not be updated in a way that
TripleO typically expects. The CI and gate jobs that run on TripleO
patches proposed to stable/zed of branched TripleO repos may or may
not continue to pass as a result of stale content.

[1] https://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-discuss/2023-March/032663.html

--
-- James Slagle