[neutron][ironic] Postgres support?

Jay Faulkner jay at gr-oss.io
Thu May 11 19:13:58 UTC 2023

Hey Christian,

You're 100% correct to use resolutions from the TC and governance policies
to help you determine what is officially supported for an integrated
OpenStack release. However, these guidelines, from a project perspective,
are minimums. Many projects; Ironic included, run jobs to ensure postgresql
support continues working. This is absolutely best-effort, and I believe is
mostly grown out of trying to continue to support operators who made the
choice to use postgresql. With my Ironic PTL hat on, I appreciate that we
explicitly ensure we're not limiting our project to a single DBMS forever.

We test Ironic against the following DBMS: mysql/mariadb (used by most
users), postgresql, and sqlite (used by metal3, primarily). In the case of
postgresql (as mentioned in this thread), we test more than Ironic, we
ensure a full deployment is possible which tests the basic functionality of
Ironic, Neutron, Nova, and many other projects. This doesn't mean
postgresql or sqlite is supported from the perspective of an integrated
OpenStack install, but it's there and available to use for deployers who
might choose to use Ironic standalone (metal3/bifrost) or for operators
with clouds that predate OpenStack's statement of non-support for postgres.

I apologize if this appears inconsistent from the outside, but we want to
continue to serve as many use cases as possible -- sometimes that means
going above and beyond the minimum supported platforms.

Thanks,
Jay Faulkner
Ironic PTL
TC Vice-Chair