[neutron][ironic] Postgres support?

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Thu May 11 18:51:35 UTC 2023

On 11/05/2023 15:54, Julia Kreger wrote:
> Awesome! Thanks for the prompt reply and action on a patch for
> Neutron. The test patch proposed against Ironic passed, which is
> definitely a good sign!

While it's really cool to see how quickly this PostgreSQL issue was
fixed for Ironic, I believe there is no widespread testing and
validation of PostgreSQL for other projects (anymore).

There even was an official communication from the TC in 2017 about not
"supporting" anything but MySQL / MariaDB:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20170613-postgresql-status.html

I myself ran into multiple issues, some during schema upgrades and some
only at runtime because certain side-effect such as improper booleans or
"free solo SQL"
where used within the code, rendering the ORM abstraction of the
actually used DBMS useless. This is also making it very hard to fully
validate the DBMS is interchangeable
without particularly testing for those kind of cases in all sorts of
database fields or by doing code reviews.

What I am saying is, that as a an operator I appreciate clear
communication and clear deprecation processes over "best-effort"
commitments.
It does not help if there is a minefield of issues and raised bugs about
incompatibilities are not considered really important since the
user-base for PostgreSQL installs has diminished.

If I use a set of services just fine, but as soon as I add another OS
project to my cloud I could run into all sorts of problems, just because
I chose the "wrong" DBMS.

Regards

Christian