[puppet] Summary of discussions at PTG Vancouver June 2023

Tobias Urdin tobias.urdin at binero.com
Mon Jun 19 23:04:29 UTC 2023

It was a pleasure to meet you all, thanks Takashi for driving the meeting and putting together an action plan!

Best regards
Tobias

On 18 Jun 2023, at 18:23, Takashi Kajinami <tkajinam at redhat.com> wrote:

Hello,

Thank you all for joining our PTG session !
It was really nice to meet some of the team members in person.

The etherpad for the discussion can be found in the link below, but
I'll share a summary of our discussions in this email. In case you have
any questions/concerns then feel free to let me know.
https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/vancouver-june2023-puppet-openstack

  *   Status update
     *   We share the status of each person.
     *   Unfortunately all of the members attending the discussion have limited resources especially for development
     *   Agreement: we focus on priorities and de-prioritize items which does not cause immediate problems/breackages
     *   Agreement: we ensure we finish the prioritized items in a specific release to keep our maintenance simple

  *   Puppet 8 support
     *   We added unit/lint tests with Puppet 8 for early testing, but adding integration tests is currently blocked
by some ruby dependencies not yet available for Ruby 3.1 which is required by Puppet 8.
     *   All of the operating system versions do not provide Ruby 3.1 now
     *   Puppet 7 EOL is not yet declared
     *   Agreement: We leave this as non-priority for now and re-work on it once Ruby 3.1 is globally available

  *   Adaptation to puppetlab-stdlib 9.0.0
     *   Some deprecated items were removed. We adapted our modules but are still waiting for update
in the dependent modules
     *   validate_legacy was deprecated and causes large warning now
     *   Functions from stdlib should be now namespace-d to avoid warnings after bump is done
     *   Agreement: We prioritize replacing validate_legacy by typed parameters
     *   Agreement: We pin stdlib to an older version for now but attempt to bump it early

  *   Module modernizations
     *   Typed parameters
        *   Replacing validate_legacy needs to be prioritized now to adapt to puppetlab-stdlib 9.0.0
        *   Implementing type validations for openstack config options require further discussions.
Handling of os_service_defualt would be the main topic we have to sort
        *   We prefer consistent implementations for all openstack service modules, while we can attempt
some changes early in a few "independent" modules such as extras, vswitch, qdr
        *   Agreement: We de-prioritize implementing validations for config options
        *   Agreement: We ensure implementations is distributed to all modules consistently in a single release

     *   Hieradata
        *   This is "modern" design pattern, and it's ideal to replace legacy params class by it
        *   However we don't have urgent requirement to complete this work
        *   We have to create the common structure for hieradata files maintained in each repositories
        *   Some concerns have been raised mainly how we can pick up some values once this change is made
        *   Agreement: We de-prioritize this work for now
        *   Agreement: We can start with the flat files (pattern 1 in https://etherpad.opendev.org/p/puppet-hieradata-structure )
        *   Agreement: tkajinam will submit a few examples and we review how this impact the existing usage
        *   Agreement: Similarly to typed parameters, we should coordinate this work to make the change consistently

     *   Making distro/version specific logic selectable by parameters
        *   This work is tightly related to the hieradata work
        *   Agreement: We basically leave this work until the above hieradata work is completed, and de-prioritize this.

  *   Branch retirements
     *   We have multiple branches open now and aim to reduce number of branches
     *   Red Hat is interested in keeping train open until 2023Q3 (tentative) and wallaby for some times for donwstream
     *   Others do not have requirement to maintain old releases in EM status
     *   Agreement: We aim to retire train/ussuri/branch after 2023Q3. Retiring further branches is subject to future discussions

Thank you,
Takashi Kajinami