[heat] Heat discussions at PTG Vancouver June 2023

Takashi Kajinami tkajinam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 19 03:45:34 UTC 2023

Hello,

Thank you all who attended the PTG discussions last week at Vancouver.
We were small but it was nice to meet/see you in person and discuss
how we can improve our projects

I'll share a summary of the PTG discussions and also a few more topics
related to our projects, which were discussed during Forum sessions.

PTG sessions:
 - We exchanged information about how we use heat downstream.
   Jonathan and Alan from Georgia Cyber Center explained their quite
interesting
   usage to launch an lab environment for their end users.

 - There are still a number of resource properties not yet supported by
Heat but
   we want to prioritize implementations according to actual needs. We
suggested creating
   a storyboard story in case any user finds out any missing properties to
cover their use case.

 - Jonathan shared a very nice demo about their visualizer of heat
stacks[1], which gives more
   meaningful visualization based on resource types. We agreed this can
replace the current
   implementation in heat dashboard. We agreed that we'll explore if we can
integrate this and
   deprecate the current implementation.

[1] https://gitlab.com/gacybercenter/open/openstack-top-graph

Forum sessions:
 - In SRBAC sessions status of individual projects were shared. Heat is
lagging behind now
   and we have to focus on completing step 1(removing system scope).

 - In TC/Community Leaders communication, we agreed we are setting a
timeline to bump sqlalchemy
   to 2.0 (followup would be sent separately). We removed usage of
sqlalchemy-migrate as the first
   step to adapt sqlalchemy 2.0 but we still need some work for full
adoption. We first need to add some
   testing as was done in Neutron already.

Thank you,
Takashi Kajinami