[designate] Proposal to deprecate the agent framework and agent based backends

Christian Rohmann christian.rohmann at inovex.de
Wed Jan 18 22:19:42 UTC 2023

Hey Michael, openstack-discuss,

On 17/01/2023 01:52, Michael Johnson wrote:
> 6. The introduction of catalog zones[6] may eliminate the need for
> some of the agent based backend drivers.

I proposed the spec to have catalog zone support added to Designate, see
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/designate-specs/+/849109.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss this at the PTG and for all your
work that went into refining the spec.
May I kindly as how you feel about potential acceptance / merge of this
spec in the near future?

1)  I did leave a few remarks in regards to the implementation though
which we could discuss.

2)  I certainly am still a strong promoter of this standardized approach
to distribute the list of zones to secondary servers as there already is
native support in major DNS servers.
But I also believe having support for catalog zones already available
while still working through the deprecation phase of the agent based
backends would provide people with a new option to adapt their setups to.
And there is the option to not only use catalog zones within the actual
secondary DNS server software, but to use it as source for some
platform-specific provisioning code or agent to access the zone catalog.

Regards

Christian