[designate] Proposal to deprecate the agent framework and agent based backends

Michael Johnson johnsomor at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 15:31:11 UTC 2023

To maintain compatibility and support for the agent framework for the
two release cycles required of the deprecation process, we will need
to do the monkey patching (it turns out it's an enum class, so a bit
more than a simple monkey patch) for the two depreciation cycles.

There is definitely a risk that dnspython will change again in a way
that breaks the monkey patch, but we have a check job that runs with
the most recent version of dnspython, so we should catch any RCx
releases that cause us problems. In fact, that job did catch this
issue, but unfortunately it was over the holiday so we didn't get on
top of it as quickly as we'd hoped.

Michael