[designate] Proposal to deprecate the agent framework and agent based backends

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Tue Jan 17 09:11:44 UTC 2023

On 1/17/23 01:52, Michael Johnson wrote:
> TLDR: The Designate team would like to deprecate the backend agent
> framework and the agent based backends due to lack of development and
> design issues with the current implementation. The following backends
> would be deprecated: Bind9 (Agent), Denominator, Microsoft DNS
> (Agent), Djbdns (Agent), Gdnsd (Agent), and Knot2 (Agent).

Hi Michael,

Thanks for this.

Now, if we're going to get rid of the code soonish, can we just get rid
of the unit tests, rather than attempting to monkey-patch dnspython?
That feels safer, no? With Eventlet, I have the experience that monkey
patching is dangerous and often leads to disaster.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)