Help us plan the next PTG!

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Thu Oct 27 11:22:35 UTC 2022

Le mer. 26 oct. 2022 à 21:08, melanie witt <melwittt at gmail.com> a écrit :

> On Wed Oct 26 2022 11:24:37 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time), Kendall
> Nelson <kennelson11 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > No that wasn't the plan. I think the Forum will also still happen as per
> > usual.
>
> TBH, I wouldn't mind it (and I think I would actually prefer it) if we
> went back to the OG model of having the summit and the design summit at
> the same time. I was never into the split off into the PTG but wanted to
> be open minded. I think having the user-oriented energy of the summit
> combined with the ability to participate on the dev side at the same
> event was a good thing. I might be alone in this feeling though.
>
> That said, I think gmann highlighted the challenge with this would be
> how we really need to have two events per year to collaborate on each
> upcoming release. I wonder if we could do one co-located event with the
> summit and then a virtual PTG for the other cycle? I dunno if the
> virtual PTG is too resource intensive. I'm generally not a fan of
> virtual events but I have quite liked the virtual PTG. I think it has
> been running really smoothly and very productive.

I agree with Melanie here. My personal view is that we could take the
opportunity to gather back operators and developers into one single event
that would happen once a year, ideally be the OIF Summit which would
incidentally be at the beginning of a release period (ideal time to
showcase the recent new features and to hear from feeeback before starting
to draft other features)
Virtual PTGs would still be necessary at every odd release since there were
no physical PTG but in this situation, we would rotate between physical and
virtual every 6 months, which should give us benefits of both.

Last note, as we started having tick-tock releases [1], this sounds fitting
perfectly our new release model : physical PTGs could happen at the
beginning of a tock release and virtual PTGs at the beginning of a tick.

HTH,
-Sylvain

[1]
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/resolutions/20220210-release-cadence-adjustment.html