[infra][stable] reopened old, EOL'd branches

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Mon May 16 15:07:01 UTC 2022

On 2022-05-16 16:49:31 +0200 (+0200), Előd Illés wrote:
[...]
> where there exist *-eol tag, the branch was probably deleted but then
> reopened and some generated patch created a new branch from the same
> branching point where the original stable/* branch was branched from.
>     (some example generated patches:
>        * OpenDev Migration Patch
>        * Replace openstack.org git:// URLs with https://
>      see specific example [1])
[...]

Note that Gerrit doesn't allow creation of changes for nonexistent
branches, so the branch had to be recreated somehow independent of
those changes being pushed.

> For this I would
> - push release patches where that is missing from openstack/release (this
> will not do the work, as mentioned above, but needs some manual tagging /
> branch deletion afterwards) - this is only to have a better view of the tags
> and branches from openstack/releases repository
> - tag branches with *-eol where that is missing
> - delete branches that have already *-eol tag, even if that means we lose
> some patches (like the above mentioned generated patches)
>
> Is this acceptable? What do you think? (Or should the two latter be done by
> Infra team via a list that I could collect?)
[...]

What you propose sounds reasonable to me. If the branch already has
a corresponding eol tag, I agree that (re)deleting the branch is the
thing to do. Any changes which merged to the branch after the eol
tag was created won't be "lost" since they still have named refs in
the Git repository, they just won't appear in the history of any
branch or tag.

I have no problem with you doing batch branch deletion for this
purpose, same as normal EOL process. I don't see any reason the
Gerrit sysadmins would need to handle it.
--
Jeremy Stanley