[infra][stable] reopened old, EOL'd branches

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Mon May 16 14:49:31 UTC 2022

Hi Infra team,

I need some help / advice from you. Some time ago I realized that there
are multiple open stable/newton (and some older) branches as well for
some projects.

I see there multiple kind of open EOL'd branches:

1. where there were no *-eol tag at all and thus branch is still open

2. where there exist *-eol tag, but the branch was not deleted

3. where there exist *-eol tag, the branch was probably deleted but then
reopened and some generated patch created a new branch from the same
branching point where the original stable/* branch was branched from.
     (some example generated patches:
        * OpenDev Migration Patch
        * Replace openstack.org git:// URLs with https://
      see specific example [1])

To clean up this I think we need some decision and manual tagging and
branch deletion, because our tooling (openstack/releases) does not allow
to tag on a branch that has an EOL state.

For this I would
- push release patches where that is missing from openstack/release
(this will not do the work, as mentioned above, but needs some manual
tagging / branch deletion afterwards) - this is only to have a better
view of the tags and branches from openstack/releases repository
- tag branches with *-eol where that is missing
- delete branches that have already *-eol tag, even if that means we
lose some patches (like the above mentioned generated patches)

Is this acceptable? What do you think? (Or should the two latter be done
by Infra team via a list that I could collect?)

[1] https://paste.opendev.org/show/bCnJaKgdTrlZwDzcP3VM/

Thanks in advance,

Előd
(irc: elodilles)