[all] Debian unstable has Python 3.11: please help support it.

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Jul 14 14:01:14 UTC 2022

On Thu, 2022-07-14 at 15:38 +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I know the usual answer: "we don't do that", or "this is unsupported in
> current version", however, as always, that's the way things are:
> OpenStack isn't alone living in Debian, and Debian Unstable now has
> Python 3.11, which isn't going to change simply because the OpenStack
> community decides that "it's not supported".
>
> So it'd be nice if we could support it. I'm quite sure that, as usual,
> the upload of a new Python interpreter version will break my world. I'll
> try to summit patches when I can, but I also expect help if possible.
>
> The challenge is: Debian Bookworm will be shipping Zed and Python 3.11,
> most likely...
thanks for the heads up.
last time i tried using bookworm i had to force 3.9 via a virual enve to fully deploy
a working openstack. i know that you and the eventlet folk have actuly resolved the issue i
hit already so 3.10 shoudl work now but i suspect evently will be the most fragil thing
with getting 3.11 to work.

in terms of offical testing runtime you are correct that "this is unsupported in current version"
since we determin the supported/tested interperters for a release at the start
fo the cycle. and currenlty we only test 3.8 and 3.9 with experimatal support for 3.10
im not against reviewing/merging patches that are needed for 3.11 as long as we do not break 3.8

for next cycle im hoping we will drop ubuntu 20.04 in favor of ubuntu 22.04 and we can rais our min version
to 3.9 and add 3.10 and 3.11 support formally to our testing runtimes if those are aviable to test with
in lts releases such as debian 11 or ubuntu 22.04
so making a start on that in zed on a best effort baisis i think makes sense.

the only thing is that if we have to choose betten 3.8 support and 3.11 we need to ensure we maintian
the agreed runtime supprot but i doubt we will need to make that choice.

do we currently have 3.11 aviable in any of the ci images? i belive we have 22.04 image aviable is it installbale there
or do we have debian bookworm images we can use to add a non voting tox py311 job to the relevent project repos?