[all] [oslo.messaging] Interest in collaboration on a NATS driver

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Mon Aug 29 18:03:36 UTC 2022

On Mon, 2022-08-29 at 18:33 +0200, Radosław Piliszek wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
>
> Good to see RMQ alternatives appearing. A couple of questions from me.
>
> On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 at 15:47, Tobias Urdin <tobias.urdin at binero.com> wrote:
> >         • Do retries and acknowledgements in the library (since NATS does NOT persist messages like RabbitMQ could)
>
> What do you mean? Is NATS only a router? (I have not used this technology yet.)
no but if you want distibute persiten its part of the option stream api
https://docs.nats.io/nats-concepts/jetstream
they descirbe when to use core nats or jetsream here.
https://docs.nats.io/using-nats/developer/develop_jetstream#when-to-use-streaming
https://docs.nats.io/using-nats/developer/develop_jetstream#when-to-use-core-nats

i think the poc is just using core nats currenlty.

> >         • Find or maintain a NATS python library that doesn't use async like the official one does
>
> Why is async a bad thing? For messaging it's the right thing.
>
> Finally, have you considered just trying out ZeroMQ?
ZeroMQ used to be supported in the past but then it was remvoed
if i understand correctly it only supprot notificaiton or RPC but not both
i dont recall which but perhapse im miss rememebrign on that point.

> I mean, NATS is probably an overkill for OpenStack services since the
> majority of them stay static on the hosts they control (think
> nova-compute, neutron agents - and these are also the pain points that
> operators want to ease).
its not any more overkill then rabbitmq is
i also dont know waht you mean when you say
"majority of them stay static on the hosts they control"

NATS is intended a s a cloud native horrizontally scaleable message bus.
which is exactly what openstack need IMO.