[all] [oslo.messaging] Interest in collaboration on a NATS driver

Radosław Piliszek radoslaw.piliszek at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 18:20:15 UTC 2022

On Mon, 29 Aug 2022 at 20:03, Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Finally, have you considered just trying out ZeroMQ?
> ZeroMQ used to be supported in the past but then it was remvoed
> if i understand correctly it only supprot notificaiton or RPC but not both
> i dont recall which but perhapse im miss rememebrign on that point.

I believe it would be better suited for RPC than notifications, at
least in the simplest form.

> > I mean, NATS is probably an overkill for OpenStack services since the
> > majority of them stay static on the hosts they control (think
> > nova-compute, neutron agents - and these are also the pain points that
> > operators want to ease).
> its not any more overkill then rabbitmq is

True that. Probably.

> i also dont know waht you mean when you say
> "majority of them stay static on the hosts they control"
>
> NATS is intended a s a cloud native horrizontally scaleable message bus.
> which is exactly what openstack need IMO.

NATS seems to be tweaked for "come and go" situations which is an
exception in the OpenStack world, not the rule (at least in my view).
I mean, one normally expects to have a preset number of hypervisors
and not them coming and going (which, I agree, is a nice vision, could
be a proper NATS driver, with more awareness in the client projects I
believe, would be an enabler for more dynamic clouds).

Cheers,
Radek
-yoctozepto