[release][PTL] broken gates and stuck releases

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Fri Sep 17 13:51:54 UTC 2021

On 2021-09-17 12:41:17 +0200 (+0200), Herve Beraud wrote:
[...]
> Our current solution is to pull openstack/governance from git
> source instead of from pypi. By doing that we will pull the fixed
> version from opendev git and we will unblock our gates. In this
> way, we will be able to restart to merge patches and release
> deliverables.
>
> We currently wait for some feedback from the infra team to help us
> to force merging the needed fixes by using their gerrit super
> admin rights, hence, bypassing the catch-22 situation.

By the time I was around, a solution was found which involved merely
adjusting the release project requirements list, so no action was
needed outside normal code review workflow.

> This situation highlighted the cross dependency between these two
> repos (governance and releases) and I don't think that this is
> something healthy. I propose to keep pulling the governance repo
> from git source even after we will fix the catch-22 situation. Any
> opinions?
[...]

The "proper" way to do this is to declare openstack/governance in
the required-projects lists for the jobs which are using it, and
then the tox role from zuul-jobs will know to consume it from
locally supplied source instead of fetching it from PyPI. This also
allows Zuul to handle cross-repository dependencies properly, so a
requirements change would be able to successfully Depends-On some
proposed change in governance even before it's merged.
--
Jeremy Stanley