[release][PTL] broken gates and stuck releases

Herve Beraud hberaud at redhat.com
Fri Sep 17 10:41:17 UTC 2021

Hello PTLs,

For your information our gates are currently broken so we are not able to
merge patches and so to release deliverables.

indeed openstack/release rely on openstack/governance to validate releases.
The governance repo relies on pybot2 which is no longer maintained and
became not installable a few hours ago. That broke the release gate and led
us to a catch-22 situation where we are not able to release the governance
repo to fix our repo.

Our current solution is to pull openstack/governance from git source
instead of from pypi.
By doing that we will pull the fixed version from opendev git and we will
unblock our gates. In this way, we will be able to restart to merge patches
and release deliverables.

We currently wait for some feedback from the infra team to help us to force
merging the needed fixes by using their gerrit super admin rights, hence,
bypassing the catch-22 situation.

This situation highlighted the cross dependency between these two repos
(governance and releases) and I don't think that this is something healthy.
I propose to keep pulling the governance repo from git source even after we
will fix the catch-22 situation. Any opinions?

Thanks for your understanding, we will inform you when we will have updates.

https://opendev.org/openstack/governance/commit/9128e502253db9aac346ce25726a23378c07d478
https://review.opendev.org/c/openstack/releases/+/809626

--
Hervé Beraud