[all][tc] Minium python version for yoga and centos 9 stream.

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Sep 7 13:08:58 UTC 2021

On Tue, Sep 7, 2021 at 1:10 PM Sean Mooney <smooney at redhat.com> wrote:

> resending to correct list
> On Tue, 2021-09-07 at 10:51 +0100, Sean Mooney wrote:
> > hi i was jsut looking at the yoga runtimes an notice that we have not
> really updated it
> > with regards to minium python versions.
> >
> > currently
> >
> > the runtime defintion is as follows
> https://github.com/openstack/governance/blob/master/reference/runtimes/yoga.rst
> >
> >    It is the :doc:`policy
> <../../resolutions/20181024-python-update-process>` that each OpenStack
> release cycle will target the latest available version of Python; default
> Python runtimes on the
> >    distributions listed above; and versions used in integration tests at
> the start of the cycle, at least until the point when all projects have
> migrated to a later version.
> >
> >    Based on the criteria above, all Python-based projects must target
> and test against, at a minimum:
> >
> >        Python 3.6 (default in CentOS 8 Stream)
> >        Python 3.8 (latest available; default in Ubuntu 20.04)
> >
> > looking at to look at https://repology.org/project/python/versions what
> python version are shpping by default now in many distro
> > more and more of them are moving to python 3.9 which is currently not in
> the test list and wer are starting to fall quite far behind
> >
> > debian 11/12/stable are currently using 3.9.2
> > centos 8 defaults to 3.6.8 but ships  3.8.6 and 3.9.2 as appstreams

We shouldn't rely on non-default versions.

> > centos 9 stream will default to  python3-3.9.6-6.el9.x86_64.rpm
> https://composes.stream.centos.org/test/latest-CentOS-Stream/compose/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/
> > ubuntu 20.04 default to 3.8.2 but also ships 3.9.5 in universe

Same.

> > ubuntu 21.04 default to 3.9.5 so we can expect that when yoga ships on
> ubuntu 22.04 it will be based on at least python 3.9 and proably 3.10
> > fedora well they basically ship everythin but i belive 3.9 is not the
> default based on complaints some of my fellow contiutors had with
> > runnign unit and functional tests.
> >
> > openSUSE Leap 15.3 main/oss   python39        3.9.4 ship 3.9 but default
> to 3.6
> > they aslo nolonger have an openstack product but it would still be nice
> to keep them in mind.

Yep, some of us (namely Bifrost) support openSUSE Leap (and the transition
to 15.3 hasn't happened yet)

> > over all i think we shoudl consider raising or min tested/supported
> python version to python 3.8 for yoga and consider updating from centos 8
> to centos 9.

Dropping CentOS 8 (and thus RHEL 8) support before RHEL 9 is released seems
extremely premature to me. I understand that with CentOS Stream the world
got some access to in-progress RHEL versions, but it does not change the
fact that RHEL 9 does not exist yet, and there seems to be no public
information on when it will appear.

>From your analysis it seems that we should support 3.6 (CentOS/RHEL), 3.8
(Ubuntu 20.04) and 3.9 (Fedora, openSUSE, future RHEL).

Dmitry

--
Red Hat GmbH, https://de.redhat.com/ , Registered seat: Grasbrunn,
Managing Directors: Charles Cachera, Brian Klemm, Laurie Krebs, Michael