Freenode and libera.chat

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Thu May 20 15:57:37 UTC 2021

On 5/19/21 6:22 PM, Artem Goncharov wrote:
> Yes, pool would be great.
>
> Please do not take this offensive, but just stating IRC survived till now and thus we should keep it is not really productive from my pov.

What about: everything else than IRC is just plain crap? Seriously,
that's plain truth...

> Why is everything what OpenStack doing/using is so complex? (Please do not comment on the items below, I’m not really interested in any answers/explanations. This is a rhetorical question)
> - gerrit. Yes it is great, yes it is fulfilling our needs. But how much we would lower the entry barrier for the contributions not using such complex setup that we have.
> - irc. Yes it survived till now. Yes it does simple things the best way. When I am online - everything is perfect (except of often connection drops). But the fun starts when I am not online (one of the simplest things for the communication platform with normally 60% of the day duration). Why should anyone care of searching any reasonably maintained IRC bouncer (or grep through eavesdrop logs), would should anyone pay for a simple mobile client?
> - issue tracker. You know yourself...

Gerrit is just wonderful. What's hard isn't gerrit itself, is the way we
are processing the auth, which is another problem.

As for IRC bouncer, have you ever tried Quassel? It comes with:
- a heavy client on all major platforms (Linux, Windows, Mac)
- a mobile client (which is quite nice, really...)
- an irc bouncer that's so easy to setup

all of that integrated, in a single package. It's super super easy to
setup and I love it. Please do not replace this wonder by Slack or one
of its clones...

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)