Create OpenStack VMs in few seconds

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 14:53:29 UTC 2021

On 25/03/2021 14:47, Sean Mooney wrote:
> This is a demo of a third party extention that was never upstreamed.
>
> nova does not support create a base vm and then doing a local live
> migration or restore for memory snapshots to create another vm.
>
> this approch likely has several security implciations that would not
> be accpeatable in a multi tenant enviornment.
>
> we have disucssed this type of vm creation in the past and determined
> that it is not a valid implematnion of spawn. a virt driver that
> precreate vms or copys an existing instance can be faster but that
> virt driver is not considered a compliant implementation.

just to follow up on this see the note on vm launch

https://docs.openstack.org/nova/latest/user/support-matrix.html#operation_launch

*Launch instance*

*Notes: *Importing pre-existing running virtual machines on a host is
considered out of scope of the cloud paradigm. Therefore this operation
is mandatory to support in drivers.

the type of fast boot descibed in that video is not a valid implemation
of creating a  server. instance.