Create OpenStack VMs in few seconds

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 14:47:09 UTC 2021

This is a demo of a third party extention that was never upstreamed.

nova does not support create a base vm and then doing a local live
migration or restore for memory snapshots to create another vm.

this approch likely has several security implciations that would not be
accpeatable in a multi tenant enviornment.

we have disucssed this type of vm creation in the past and determined
that it is not a valid implematnion of spawn. a virt driver that
precreate vms or copys an existing instance can be faster but that virt
driver is not considered a compliant implementation.

so in short there is no way to achive this today in a compliant
openstack powered cloud.