[all] Gate resources and performance

Marios Andreou marios at redhat.com
Thu Apr 1 05:58:45 UTC 2021

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 8:04 PM Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2021 at 1:05 PM Dan Smith <dms at danplanet.com> wrote:
>
>> > Here's the timing I see locally:
>> > Vanilla devstack: 775
>> > Client service alone: 529
>> > Parallel execution: 527
>> > Parallel client service: 465
>> >
>> > Most of the difference between the last two is shorter async_wait
>> > times because the deployment steps are taking less time. So not quite
>> > as much as before, but still a decent increase in speed.
>>
>> Yeah, cool, I think you're right that we'll just serialize the
>> calls. It may not be worth the complexity, but if we make the OaaS
>> server able to do a few things in parallel, then we'll re-gain a little
>> more perf because we'll go back to overlapping the *server* side of
>> things. Creating flavors, volume types, networks and uploading the image
>> to glance are all things that should be doable in parallel in the server
>> projects.
>>
>> 465s for a devstack is awesome. Think of all the developer time in
>> $local_fiat_currency we could have saved if we did this four years
>> ago...  :)
>>
>> --Dan
>>

> Hey folks,
> Just wanted to check back in on the resource consumption topic.
> Looking at my measurements the TripleO group has made quite a bit of
> progress keeping our enqued zuul time lower than our historical average.
> Do you think we can measure where things stand now and have some new
> numbers available at the PTG?
>
> /me notes we had a blip on 3/25 but there was a one off issue w/ nodepool
> in our gate.
>
> Marios Andreou has put a lot of time into this, and others as well.
> Kudo's Marios!
> Thanks all!

o/ thanks for the shout out ;)

Big thanks to Sagi (sshnaidm), Chandan (chkumar), Wes (weshay), Alex
(mwhahaha) and everyone else who helped us merge those things
https://review.opendev.org/q/topic:tripleo-ci-reduce - things like
tightening files/irrelevant_files matches, removal of older/non voting
jobs, removal of upgrade master jobs and removal of layout overrides across
tripleo repos (using the centralised tripleo-ci repo templates everywhere
instead) to make maintenance easier so it is more likely that we will
notice and fix new issues moving forward

regards, marios