[ops][cinder] festival of EOL - ocata and pike

Brian Rosmaita rosmaita.fossdev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 19:43:57 UTC 2020

On 7/23/20 10:56 AM, Előd Illés wrote:
[snip]
> Maybe before you EOL Cinder's Pike, it would be nice to review & merge
> at least the open patches [3], I can help with the review as soon as the
> gate fixing patch [4] has merged (which I have already reviewed :)). To
> be honest I haven't reviewed yet the other patches because I reviewed
> first the gate fixing ones and waited them to get merged. Anyway, I'm
> always happy to help with stable reviews, at least from stable core
> point of view (but I can only give +1 for patches in Cinder).

We've held off on merging anything because if we're going to EOL it
anyway, what's the point? -- and we didn't want to reset the 6-month
'unmaintenance' clock.  But if:

(1) the gates are really working, and
(2) the community agrees that we can make a set of final commits to
stable/pike and then immediately EOL it --

I think that would be reasonable, especially since it would allow us to
merge the fixes for OSSN-0086 into stable/pike, which would be nice
(though the patches have been available in Gerrit for anyone who wants
them).

There are no open reviews for python-cinderclient or
python-brick-cinderclient-ext, so we don't have to worry about those repos.

With respect to (1), I've got two test patches to make sure the
stable/pike cinder and os-brick gates are functional today:
- https://review.opendev.org/730959
- https://review.opendev.org/731196
I don't mean to be unreasonable, but if I have to do more than 2
rechecks on either of those to get them to pass, I have no interest in
proceeding to step 2.  (They both must pass because the ossn-0086 fix
must be applied to both cinder and os-brick or it doesn't fix anything.)

With respect to (2), the policy reads: "After a project/branch exceeds
the time allocation as Unmaintained, or a team decides to explicitly end
support for a branch, it will become End of Life." [0]  My reading of
that "or" is that we would *not* have to wait another 6 months to
declare Pike EOL given that the Cinder team has explicitly decided to
end support for that branch.  If anyone interested in this matter reads
the document differently, now would be a good time to speak up.

[0]
https://opendev.org/openstack/project-team-guide/src/commit/5a8b34fbba7c0744456f5d32167e0295f8578387/doc/source/stable-branches.rst

And, just to be clear about what patches are eligible:
cinder:
- https://review.opendev.org/737094
- https://review.opendev.org/733662
- https://review.opendev.org/734725
- https://review.opendev.org/734723
- https://review.opendev.org/729604

os-brick:
- https://review.opendev.org/733615
- https://review.opendev.org/740318

No other reviews will be considered for inclusion.

I put a -W on the "Cinder: EOL Pike" patch while we think this over.
But one way or another, the cinder project stable/pike branches will be
EOL by this time next week.

> About the Cinder zuul jobs in EOL candidate branches: I'll go through
> the zuul jobs in Pike and Ocata in Cinder to look for unused job
> definitions and propose deletion patch if there are such.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

[snip]