[ops][cinder] festival of EOL - ocata and pike

Előd Illés elod.illes at est.tech
Fri Jul 24 10:21:11 UTC 2020

The gate jobs are really working, as I said before :)

> (2) the community agrees that we can make a set of final commits to
> stable/pike and then immediately EOL it --
>
> I think that would be reasonable, especially since it would allow us
> to merge the fixes for OSSN-0086 into stable/pike, which would be nice
> (though the patches have been available in Gerrit for anyone who wants
> them).
>
> There are no open reviews for python-cinderclient or
> python-brick-cinderclient-ext, so we don't have to worry about those
> repos.
>
> With respect to (1), I've got two test patches to make sure the
> stable/pike cinder and os-brick gates are functional today:
> - https://review.opendev.org/730959
> - https://review.opendev.org/731196
> I don't mean to be unreasonable, but if I have to do more than 2
> rechecks on either of those to get them to pass, I have no interest in
> proceeding to step 2.  (They both must pass because the ossn-0086 fix
> must be applied to both cinder and os-brick or it doesn't fix anything.)
>
> With respect to (2), the policy reads: "After a project/branch exceeds
> the time allocation as Unmaintained, or a team decides to explicitly
> end support for a branch, it will become End of Life." [0]  My reading
> of that "or" is that we would *not* have to wait another 6 months to
> declare Pike EOL given that the Cinder team has explicitly decided to
> end support for that branch.  If anyone interested in this matter
> reads the document differently, now would be a good time to speak up.

Yes, you read and understand the documentation correctly, we don't have
to wait another 6 months (see the patch that introduced this wording:
https://review.opendev.org/#/q/I92542012108f0aa07e28968479cdaddf7e06301d ).

> [0]
> https://opendev.org/openstack/project-team-guide/src/commit/5a8b34fbba7c0744456f5d32167e0295f8578387/doc/source/stable-branches.rst
>
> And, just to be clear about what patches are eligible:
> cinder:
> - https://review.opendev.org/737094
> - https://review.opendev.org/733662
> - https://review.opendev.org/734725
> - https://review.opendev.org/734723
> - https://review.opendev.org/729604
>
> os-brick:
> - https://review.opendev.org/733615
> - https://review.opendev.org/740318
>
> No other reviews will be considered for inclusion.
>
> I put a -W on the "Cinder: EOL Pike" patch while we think this over.
> But one way or another, the cinder project stable/pike branches will
> be EOL by this time next week.

Thanks for thinking this over.
OK, Cinder will go EOL next week, I understand.

>> About the Cinder zuul jobs in EOL candidate branches: I'll go through
>> the zuul jobs in Pike and Ocata in Cinder to look for unused job
>> definitions and propose deletion patch if there are such.
>
> Thanks, I appreciate it.
>
> [snip]

Thanks,

Előd