DR options with openstack

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Sat Jan 18 17:09:28 UTC 2020

On 2020-01-18 14:48:36 +0800 (+0800), Tony Pearce wrote:
> So if I understand correctly, this says to me that Openstack is
> never intended to be consumed by end users.
[...]

I have no idea how you got that from my message (elided since I
can't be bothered to fix your top-posting[*] right now). It's also
unclear to me which definition of "end users" you're applying. For
these purposes I lump people who install/manage OpenStack
deployments and people who interact with OpenStack deployments
together, though the latter have an established relationship with
the former and that's generally where their recommended support
channels lie.

End users consume the Linux kernel. Where do they go for support
when they have a problem with it? End users consume the bash shell.
Where do they go for support with that? You can totally build and
install those things yourself from source. When you do that you 1.
are assumed to be a somewhat advanced user and 2. might consider
reaching out to their developers and other advanced users for them
when you run into an issue. They may have time to help you, or they
may not. You don't have a paid support contract with them, so while
they're likely to try and help you out if they can, they're
certainly under no obligation.

You can also get those things ready-to-use from various places, and
can even buy support for them from someone who *is* obligated to
help you. Which path you choose is up to you.