DR options with openstack

Sean Mooney smooney at redhat.com
Sat Jan 18 15:02:27 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-01-18 at 14:48 +0800, Tony Pearce wrote:
> So if I understand correctly, this says to me that Openstack is never
> intended to be consumed by end users.
>
> Is this correct?
no there are many end user that deploy there openstack directly from source
or using comunity installer project. as an opensouce project developer of the project
will try to help our end user fix there own problems by explain how things work and
pointing them in the right direction. If a user reports a ligitimate bug we will
try to fix it eventually when our day job allows. But the same way the mysql develpers
wont provdie 1:1 support for tuneing your db deployment for your workload the openstack
communtiy does nto provide deployment planning or day  2 operation supprot to customers.

we obviously try to make day 2 operation eaiser and if user report pain point we take that
on board but if you choose to deploy openstack directly from source or community distributions
without a vendor then you are relying on the good will of indiviuals. i and other do help end
users when they ask genuine questions providing links ot the relevnet docs or pointing them
to config optins or presentaiton on the topic they ask about. we will also somtime help diagnose
problem the people are having, but if that good will is abused then i will go back to my day job.

if you show up and demand that we drop everything and fix your problem now you will likely have a negitive
experience. unlike a vendor relationship we dont have a professional/paid relationship with our end users,
on the other hand if you show up, get involved and help other where you can then i think you will find
most people in the comunity will try to help you too when you need it. that is one of the big cultural difference
between an opensouce project and a support product. a project is a comunity of people working together to
advance a common goal. a product on the ohter hand has a businesses promise of support and with that an
expectation that your vendor will go beyond good will if your business is impacted by an issue with there product.

if you chose to deploy openstack as an end user understand that while we try to make that easy, the learning
curvy is high and you need to have the right skills to make it a success but you can certenly do that if
you invest the time and peopel to do it. kolla-ansible and openstack ansible provide two of the simplest comunity
installer for managing openstack. as installer projects there focus is on day 1 and day 2 operations and tend
to have more operators involved the component projects. while you can role your own they have already centralised
the knoladge of may operators in the solutions they have developed so i would recommend reaching out to them
to learn how you can deploy openstack your self. if you want a product as other said then you should
reach out to your vendor of choice and they will help you with both planning your deployment and keeping it running.