[tripleo][ci] Proposing Chandan Kumar and Arx Cruz as TripleO-CI cores

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Sat Jan 11 16:06:36 UTC 2020

Arx,

First of all I want to repeat that it has nothing to do with the quality of
your work. Again, I'm aware of what you've been working on and I appreciate
what you have been doing with the CI team.

The major issue that I'm dealing with as a major maintainer of TripleO is
that over the past years we have promoted a lot of people to be core
reviewers; but if you closely look at numbers: most of the reviews are done
by 3 people; this is problematic when one of us is absent; and even more
problematic if one of us one day leave.

I have the feeling that promoting more core developers hasn't solved that
problem; and there are few folks currently core that should not be core
anymore IMO; because they don't review much and aren't much involved as
"core maintainers".
Being a core reviewer means you're an official maintainer. You maintain the
code, wherever it is; if it's something that your direct peer wrote or
something that $random_contributor wrote. Very often we have promoted cores
who only review things from their direct peers and this has been
problematic because 1) reviews are done by silos and 2) some parts of the
project aren't reviewed at all. It has nothing to do with you but just to
give you a bit of context on why I'm being more conservative now.

You said that you have spent major time on things not under TripleO
umbrella: please know that I'm aware of this, I'm watching it and I
appreciate it. However we are talking about TripleO CI core which is under
TripleO umbrella. Not Podman, not RDO CI etc. Which is why I went looking
to Stackalytics to see numbers (even if I take them with a grain of salt).

The core promotion is a decision that is taken as a group. My -1 doesn't
mean you won't be core, it just means I had to provide some feedback on why
I'm reluctant of you being core as of now. It doesn't mean I don't find
your work valuable or that you're not helping on IRC; actually you're doing
great. I just think that the bar is a bit higher compared to my taste and I
don't think you're far from reaching it.

Now, this is only my opinion and what it's worth. My hope is that 1) you
continue to improve your involvement in TripleO and 2) our core reviewers
do more reviews because it can't only be 3 persons who do more than 70% of
the reviews.

Have a great weekend,
Emilien

--